Menopause is a normal change in a woman’s life when her menstruation (period) stops. During such periods, she will no longer be fertile (not able to become pregnant). Menopause is natural phenomenon in woman characterized by the cessation of menstruation and usually occurring between the ages of 45 and 55years.
In UK, the average age for menopause is 52years according to the Natural Health Service, while in USA the average age is 51years according to Natural Institute of Aging in this part of the world, this often happens between the ages of 45 and 55years.
In some individuals, it starts earlier, as early as 35 and 40years. Menopause occurs gradually with irregular flow which can be scarcity or excessive before it stops completely.
A woman has reached menopause when she has not had her menstruation for 12 months in a row.
Note: God Almighty is interested in our physical, spiritual, emotional and psychological well being and so He has the following promises for us. Psalm 91: 121, 1-8
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MENOPAUSE
- Irregular diminishing and final cessation of menstruation. It usually occurs as scantly or plenty with longer or shorter cycles occurring at intervals of 2-6months until cessation finally occurs and menopause is established
- Hot flushes, i.e. internal heat associated with sweating
- Prickly sensation i.e. severe sweating even when the weather is cold
- Arthritis causing painful or stiff joint
- Palpitation i.e rapid breathing of the heart
- Insomnia (sleep disturbances or sleepless night)
- Vaginal dryness leading to painful coitus
- Gradual loss libido
- Mood changes
- Problems of focusing and learning
- More fat building up in the abdomen and help
- Hair loss
- Reduction and rectocele (prolapsed of the bladder and rectum (due to weakness of the muscle of the vaginal wall.
CHALLENGES OF MENOPAUSE TO AGING WOMEN
Menopause poses a lot of challenges in the life of women but one must adopt positive attitude towards it; allay fear and anxiety to avoid discouragement in life. The challenges are mainly physical, emotional and psychological symptoms, however, these challenges can be handled according to the symptoms presented at any point in time.
SOME DETAILS ABOUT CHALLENGES
- Headache, body odour, hair loss in public areas or on whole body, mouth odour and dryness
- Increase in allergies
- Itching and acting
- Incontinence when coughing or sneezing
- Weight gain around waist and thighs resulting in disappearing waist time
- Depletion of calcium and potassium
- Feeling of dreads apprehension doom (i.e feelings of misfortune like death)
MANAGEMENT OF MENOPAUSE
In Eccl. 3:1, the Scripture has already confirmed that there is time for everything and we also know that menopause is a natural phenomenon, we must accept it when it comes.
The management is based on symptoms
- Dispel the myths and misconceptions about menopause
- Know that this condition can be managed with appropriate adjustment, medication and counseling
- Supplementary diets on micronutrients and vitamins e.g calcium, B Complex
- Application of lubricant for dryness of vagina like KY Jelly
- Know adequate rest and sleep
- Take proper diet for this condition, mainly fruits, vegetables, fibers and fruits
- Engage more in physical exercise in alleviate symptoms
OTHER INTERVENTIONS FOR COPING WITH MENOPAUSE
- Adopt positive exercise like – Evangelism, prayer follow-up or visitation, etc.
- Express affection to one-another Col. 3:14
- Avoid discouragement
- Maintain personal hygiene
- Dress properly for personal adornment and try to keep fit always
- Read information, Education and Communication (IEC) on menopause materials
MEDICATION FOR MENOPAUSE
- Vitamin therapy especially Vitamin B12
- Mineral supplement especially calcium e.g calcium Sandoz 1000mg daily due to bone demineralization
- Application of genital lubricants during intercourse if weight is dry like KY Jelly for women
- Hormone Replacement therapy (H12T) is a way of replacing the ovarian hormone like Estrogen and Progesterone due to non-production as a result of menopause
The Aging woman should realize that it is a pride to have grown to the age of menopause because some women died even before this age. So, rather than ageing discouraged about the situation, she should learn to manage it and live the rest of her remaining life for God so as to meet her Creator eventually fulfilled.
See Also: Causes of Uterine Fibroid, Symptoms And Treatments
I know you have some contributions to make in this article. I will be glad to see them in the comment section below. Please help us to reach your social media friends by clicking any of the share buttons below. Good luck!
Labels: Health and Nutrition