Jesus son of Sirach explains to you today how to relate with your friend and how to keep old good friends. He went further to tell you people who deserve to be honoured and those who don’t deserve it.
He also went deeper into our relationship with one another by telling us how to live a life of humility and self respect. Finally, he condemns judging people by their appearances and advises you not to judge that you also may not be judged.
SUB THEMES FOR DAY 5 REFLECTION
1. Friendship with others (9.10 – 9.16)
2. Rulers (9.17 – 10.5)
3. Pride (10.6 – 10.18)
4. People who should be honoured (10.19 – 10.25)
5. Humility and self respect (10.26 – 11.1)
6. Appearances (11.2 – 11.6)
Now click Here to read words of divine wisdom of God through Sirach (9.10 – 11.6)
REFLECTIONS, WISE QUOTES AND FOOD FOR THROUGH FOR TODAY
(Reflect over these words of wisdom)
1. I know that most times you wonder why most succeed of your neighbours and friends who are sinners.
Yes most times they succeed more than the righteous. But don’t be jealous of their success because you don’t know what kind of disaster is in store for them (9.11).
2. Who are your dinner companion and what is your chief pride?
Make sure you choose righteous people for your dinner companions. And then let your chief pride be the fear of the Lord. (9.16).
3. Be careful on how criticize your rulers because the Lord sees to the government of the world and brings the right person to power at the right time.
The success of your rulers in the Lord’s hand (10.4 – 10.5). Just pray for them.
4. What is the difference between a wise ruler and an unwise ruler?
A wise ruler educates his people and his government is orderly. But an unwise king rules people (10.1 – 9.3)
5. How and when do you development?
Your pride starts when you abandon the Lord, your maker (10.12)
6. Do you want to be the greatest?
Then fear the Lord because men of influence, rulers and judges are honoured but none is greater than a person who fears the Lord (10.24)
7. Do you want to live a life of humility and self respect?
Then when you do your work, don’t make a show of your skill and don’t try to put on an out when you are in trouble (10.26).
8. Do you judge or compliment people on their looks or appearance?
Stop it. Do not compliment a person on his good looks. On the other hand do not look down on someone who is unattractive (11.2) because only God knows.
CLOSING PRAYER FOR TODAY
(Recite with deep faith)
Lord Jesus teach me how best to relate with my friends. May I never condemn my rulers and kings and keep pride far from me. May I honour those who honour is due. Help me to live a life of humility and self-respect and may I not judge people by their appearances – Amen.