Today’s reflection centers on advice about false friends, being careful in taking advice, wisdom and confidence, how to control the appetite, sickness and medicine and finally, advice bout mourning for the dead.
Jesus the son of Sirach explicitly addressed each of these point, advising you on the steps to take in each case.
He advises you to be very careful in trusting your friends because anyone can claim to be your friend, but some people are friends in name only.
He also warns you to be very careful in taking advice from people and also lists some categories of people you should not ask for advice in certain cases or conditions.
The son of Sirach also teaches you today, how to control your appetite, advising you to be selective on the kind of food you take because all food doesn’t agree with everyone and to avoid gluttony.
He also advises about sickness and medicine, encouraging you to always appreciate and respect doctors because their skills came from the Lord.
Finally, he addressed the act of mourning for the dead. The advices you to weep and wail to show how deeply you feel the loss but not to lose yourself in sorrow because there is no way to bring the dead person back to life and more so, you will one day die.
SUB THEMES FOR TODAY'S REFLECTION
1. False friends (37.1 – 37.6)
2. Caution in taking advice (37.7 – 37.15)
3. Wisdom and confidence (37.16 – 37.26)
4. Controlling the appetite (37.27 – 37.31)
5. Sickness and medicine (38.1 – 38.15)
6. Mourning for the dead (38.16 – 38.23)
Now click Here to read words of divine wisdom of God through Sirach (37.1 – 38.23)
REFLECTIONS, WISE QUOTES AND FOOD FOR THOUGHT FOR TODAY
1. Beware of false friends!
Some people will be your friend as long as things are going well, but they will turn against you when trouble comes (37.4)
2. A real friend will help you against your enemies and protect you in the fight (37.5).
Never forget such companions in battle; share the results of your victory with them (37.6)
3. Be careful in taking and giving advice.
Don’t ask advice of anyone who doesn’t trust you and don’t give advice to anyone who is jealous of you. (37.10)
4. Don’t ask the following categories of people advice about the following cases or conditions:
a) A woman about a rival of hers
b) A coward about a war
c) A merchant about a bargain
d) A buyer about selling
e) A stingy person about gratitude
f) A cruel person about kindness
g) A lazy person about work
h) A causal work about finishing a job
i) A lazy slave about a difficult task.
Pay no attention to any advice they may give (37.11)
5. Learn to trust your own judgment; no one’s advice is more reliable (37.13).
Sometimes your own intuition can tell you more than seven watchmen on a high tower (37.14). Above all, pray to the Most High that he will show you the right thing to do (37.15).
6. Wise man note this:
The mind concerns itself with four things: these are good and evil, life and death. They all begin in the mind, but the tongue is their absolute ruler (37.17 – 37.18).
7. Strive to be wise because anyone who is really wise will be the teacher of his people, and they can be certain that what he teacher if the truth (37.23).
8. Do you want to be remembered forever?
Then be wise because the wise will win the confidence of others, and will be remembered forever (37.26)
9. My child, as you go through life, keep your appetite under control, and don’t eat anything that you know is bad for you (37.27).
10. Avoid gluttony. Gluttony has been the death of many people. Avoid it and live longer (37.31).
11. Appreciate doctors.
Give doctors they honour they deserve, for the Lord gave them their work to do (38.1). Their skill came from the Most High, and kings reward them for it (38.2).
12. Always take medicine when you fall sick.
The Lord created medicines, and a sensible person will not hesitate to use them (38.4).
13. Your sins most times bring you sickness.
My child, when you feel ill, don’t ignore it. Pray to the Lord and he will make you well (38.9). confess all your sins and determine that in the future you will live a righteous life (38.10)
14. My child, when someone dies, you should mourn. Weep and wail to show how deeply you feel the loss.
Prepare the body in the proper way and be present at the burial (38.16).
15. Grief lingers on after the death of a loved one, but it is not wise to let it lead you into poverty (38.19).
16. Don’t lose your courage in sorrow; drive it ways.
Remember that we must all die sometime (38.20). There is no way to bring the dead person back. All you sorrow does him no good, and it hurt you. Don’t forget that (38.21). Today it was his turn; tomorrow it might be yours (38.22).
17. When the dead have been laid to rest, let the memory of them fade.
Once they are gone take courage (38.23).
CLOSING PRAYER FOR TODAY
(Recite with deep faith)
Lord Jesus, help me to select good friend and advice. Keep far from me the spirit of gluttony. Teach me to appreciate your healing power through doctors and send your holy spirit to console me whenever am bereaved – Amen.
WHERE TO GO FROM HERE
ANOTHER HOT BOOK OF THE YEAR
This book contains a twenty day reflection and search for divine wisdom and knowledge. It also contains up 300 wise quotes and food for thought from the book of sirach some powerful prayers at the end of each day.
Click to Get it now! for $5.25 only.
Or you can read and download it for free as long as the free promo lasts.
The promo starts on Wednesday 14 to Sunday 18 December 2016.
Click Here to read and download this book for free.
Don't forget to drop your reviews.
Don’t miss out!
Labels: Tour in Divine Wisdom and Knowledge